27 February 2015, 021-02-10/2015-04
Ministry of State Administration and Local Self-Government
Dr Kori Udovički, Minister
Subject: Statement on the Action Plan for Implementation of the Public Administration Reform Strategy in the Republic of Serbia for the period 2015-2017
Dear Ms. Udovički,
Regarding your request of 26 February 2015, by which you requested that we urgently make a statement regarding the Proposed Conclusion approving the Action Plan for the Implementation of the Public Administration Reform Strategy in the Republic of Serbia for the period 2015-2017 (hereinafter: the Action Plan), The Commissioner for the Protection of Equality makes the following statement:
Taking into account the projected goals, planned measures, results and activities, we estimate that the Action Plan, in its entirety, ensures the creation of organizational, functional and other prerequisites for the creation and successful management of public policies based on non-discrimination and the principle of equal opportunities.
Bearing in mind the data on the pervasiveness of discrimination in proceedings before the public administration bodies, as well as the need to create conditions for the effective implementation of gender equality policy and equal opportunities, I take the liberty of proposing several suggestions for activities that would, in my opinion, contribute to raising the capacity of the state administration for respect of the principles of non-discrimination and equal opportunities.
1) It would be desirable to include, within the scope of the measure 1.3, result 1.3.1, as special activities, the following:
– Developing a gender mainstreaming methodology, i.e. the methodology of integrating gender perspectives into public policies, in order to ensure the removal of systemic and structural causes of gender inequality and create conditions for transposing gender equality, as an European value, in a coherent and systematic manner;
– Linking gender-sensitive policies and gender-responsive budget;
– Building analytical capacities within the RSJP and ODU in order to plan, develop, implement and monitor the process of “gender mainstreaming” public policies.
2) It would be useful to enter within the scope of the measure 2.2, result 2.2.3, as special activities, the following:
– Developing and proposing improved instruments for harmonizing family and professional obligations of civil servants;
– Developing and proposing instruments for gender-balanced human resource management policies;
– Developing and proposing instruments for managing national, ethnic, religious, linguistic and other diversity in state administration bodies.
3) Within the scope of the measure 3.2 result 3.2.1, it would be useful to add, as special activities, the following:
– Development of methodology for creating gender-responsive budgeting;
– Carrying out training for civil servants for gender-responsive budgeting.
4) Within the scope of the measure 4.2, result 4.2.4, it would be useful to:
– Complete Activity 3 by adding the words “and the Commissioner for the Protection of Equality”, so that Activity 3 has the following formulation:
– ODU and GSV establish an organizational structure for relations with the Ombudsman and the Commissioner for the Protection of Equality (follow-up on recommendations, preparation of reports, etc.)
– Complete Activity 7 by adding the words “and the Commissioner for the Protection of Equality”, so that activity 7 has the following formulation:
– Development of an analysis of modalities for the extension of the practices established in the ODU, in relation to the follow up of the recommendations of the Ombudsman and the Commissioner for the Protection of Equality, to the wider public administration system and the monitoring of their implementation.
– Within the scope of 4.2, after results 4.2.2, it is advisable to add the following special result:
– Ensure that persons with disabilities under equal conditions have access to public administration bodies and the ability to effectively protect their rights and interests in the procedure.
Finally, we ask that the Commissioner for the Protection of Equality be provided with adequate business premises as soon as possible (in the Action Plan, the deadline is set forth in the 3rd quarter of 2015), because this is an absolute prerequisite for the proper and quality performance of its legally entrusted function. We note that we have been working for five years in spatially restricted conditions, which prevents the complete establishment of the Commissioner’s Professional Service in accordance with the adopted act on systematization, because it works with a third of the anticipated capacities and represents the biggest obstacle in its work.
With sincere collegial appreciation,
COMMISSIONER FOR THE PROTECTION OF EQUALITY
dr Nevena Petrušić